Wednesday 18 March 2015

The purpose and procedure

The Gospel writer in John chapter 1 [see Introduction] is clear that Jesus came and was unacceptable to his own [ie First Century Israel]. Some did nevertheless welcome him and believed and were made children of God.  Further below you see the (Matthew) quote that he would save his people. 

Nonetheless, as you read on it becomes clear that his coming is actually for all who will receive him.

The procedure.

I set out an orderly series of readings and provide links refer to online sources. You can use the links online sites to read the texts if that suits. The important thing is to read the record and think for yourself.

[I prepared a lengthy compilation for on-screen reading.]

Readers

My work here is not intended for younger readers but nor do I intend to exclude anyone. [Younger readers however might find the visual material on Max7 app. more useful.]

The purpose

The Fourth Gospel has this:
30 Therefore Jesus did many other signs in the presence of his disciples, which are not written in this book; 31 but these are written, that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in his name. [John chapter 20, verse 30-31, WEB]

The statement is applied to John's Gospel but I think it applies to all four. Furthermore, I intend this blog to bring you, the reader, into touch with that purpose. I believe help for you is directly available from the ultimate author of the sacred Scriptures. Just ask God.

I am not writing an academic argument or dissertation. I claim only to be a person who is a conscious follower of the Way, a member of ‘the household of faith'. I want you to know Jesus well, or better, and to be equipped to discover more. I do not want to present the views of anything other than the texts as we have them.

All about Jesus
“….And she will have a son, and you are to name him Jesus, for he will save his people from their sins.” Matthew 1:21 NLT

“And since we have been made right in God’s sight by the blood of Christ, he will certainly save us from God’s condemnation.” Romans 5:9 NLT 

These statements relate to Jesus the Carpenter from Galilee [Roman region]. He is the one given the title ‘Saviour’.
In one place he is called ‘Jesus son of Joseph from Nazareth’. This fuller description distinguishes one man from others, both contemporary and predecessors. By the way, ‘Jesus’ was not an uncommon name in the Greek documents. See further in the 'Page' of this blog.

The setting of the accounts may be helpful:
You can see photos and map: [Very useful website with excellent images]
http://www.holylandphotos.org/browse.asp?s=1,2,5,36,555

"It" or "I"

“It” or “I"? The convention I know dictates the use of third person, or of plurals, or other oblique ways of writing. So, which says it best: “My guide is to Jesus..”. or “The guide is to Jesus..” or “Our guide is to Jesus..”, or “Christians say..” or “The Court finds..”? I think it better for me to own what I say. I hope you agree.
 
EDITS
As this is a live blog, I have the opportunity to make edits in posts, here and there, from time to time. Mostly the edits are additions. I hope this is not annoying. If I make a "major" edit, I change the name of the post to show it is a revised and updated edition!
17/06/24  This post has been here for 9 years. According to the Google stats, it has lots of "hits". I read it again. Is there is a need to add or revise? Maybe a new post could help?